Episode 8: Equity is the new black



"I had to learn what the gaslighting was with our public school system.  I had to learn what the policies were in order to sit at the table and argue them.  And I had to understand what the other experiences were of families and students."
-Angel Martinez


In this episode, which we recorded the weekend before the first week that students were supposed to have remote contact with their schools, we talk a little bit about reopening worries, and then launch into a conversation about equity with two parent leaders in the struggle: Angel Martinez, a Harlem-based activist who is available for consulting work; and Chauncy Young, Director of the Parent Action Committee at New Settlement in the Bronx.

Angel advised us that to be successful with equity work in Harlem we needed to build strong connections with community organizations.  PAC's leadership was important to the work in District 9 in the Bronx.  She also talked about MASA in District 7 and Make the Road in Queens.

- Make the Road

"If we don’t send our kids to the building, they don’t have a job.  At the end of the day, we make it possible for them to exist and I think we give them too much credit, too much power, and too much space to tell us how to educate and raise our children."
-Dr. Sanayi Beckles-Canton

Comments